Friday, May 4, 2012

FRIDAY....3 more days

So, here I sit.  Waiting.  Impatiently. On a rainy Friday morning.  Monday is the day.  The beginning of a new way of life. My dogs sit here with me.  I will really miss them....the chihuahua will miss me most of the two- the poodle loves whoever he is with!  I know my husband, sister in-law, brother in-law and niece will take great care of them.  Will still miss the little brats!  I swear at least ten gray hairs popped out this past (so need to go see my friend Sherry at Eccentric when I feel up to a day trip after surgery) week while I have been making phone calls, sending emails, market runs for  sugar free :(- jello, water, and will have to still buy, of all things, low sugar carnation instant breakfast...I will be on a 'modified full liquid' diet for a few weeks post surgery.  Veggie broth, water, jello, low sugar protein supplement....ugh this is truly a full time job.

Here are two samples given for a typical day of stage 3 (there are 5 total- 1 and 2 will be done in hospital, 3 for about a month after, 4 (which is baby food consistency) and 5, which I will be on for my entire life.  Thank you, BIDMC, for mapping the below out for patients!!

Example 1: Simplified Typical Day
8a       4 oz  blended cottage cheese
9a       8 oz   water
10a     8 oz protein drink
11a     8 oz water
noon   8 oz protein drink
1p      8 oz water
2p      8 oz protein drink
3p      8 oz water
4p      8 oz sugar free jello
5p      8 oz 1% milk
6p      8 oz low fat broth
7p      8 oz decaf tea (yea right- i intend to sleep at nite, thanks)
8p      8 oz of water

I foresee living in the bathroom AND at the fridge with the above....oh let's NOT forget all the chew-able and liquid vitamins and supplements (fish oil included- yuck)

The one below seems a little more palatable and more protein (translate that to I WONT LOSE MY HAIR!!)

Example 2: Detailed Typical Day
9a      1 scoop of protein supplement mixed w 8 oz of skim or reduced fat milk
10a    1 cup sugar free jello
11a    24 oz bottle of 'Propel'
2p      8 oz low fat, light yogurt (no fruit chunks)
3p      1 cup broth mixed with 1 scoop UNFLAVORED PRO powder
4p      24 oz bottle of water
7p      low sugar carnation instant breakfast w 8 oz 1% milk
8p      8 oz glass of water

Did you do the math??  72 oz non-nutritive fluids, 66 grams of PRO, 605 calories!!!  that's it!!!

I guess I can look forward to step 4- the 'baby food' section!  And step 5....I must physically 'puree' any food in my mouth that I ingest....otherwise my new stomach will not process the food properly and 'dumping syndrome' can occur.

Fluid intake, i.e. water, is very important.  Dehydration is a serious issue when it comes to bariatric surgery.  Even though I joked above about 'living' in the bathroom and fridge, I realize the commitment it takes to make the changes in my life with this surgery.  I'm ready.

Can we fast forward to Monday now, Please??

So this MAY be the last posting for a week or so- depending on how I feel.  I will be posting to my Twitter as well as Facebook (for those family and friends) while I am in the hospital, or you can email me. Yay for droids!!!

Stay well and you WILL hear from me soon!!  With any luck it will be while I am sitting in the sun!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, only 605 calories! So you'll be in the loo AND tired! I know you already know it'll be worth it though. I'm really amped for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alyson! I love having you as a cheerleader!! xo

    ReplyDelete